Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Teaching with Multiple Preps

Teaching with multiple preparations for different levels is really a challenge for teachers, especially for the newbies. My first year of teaching was a very confronting baptism of fire. I was given full load of teaching with three preparations! That time, I handled computer subjects for second to fourth year high school students. At second year level, I was teaching simple Office applications and database management system, at third year level, I was teaching web designing and at fourth year level, graphic designing with Photoshop and CorelDRAW. There was never a day that I wasn't swamped by so many preparations for instructional materials and assessment tools.  

Sometimes, I thought I was not becoming an effective teacher anymore... I would always feel tired of teaching...  I was starting to lose the passion... But after giving myself some time to reflect, I had realized that it was the multiple preparations that were draining my fervor in teaching. I was still passionate about teaching, but I was just being bulldozed by the demands of multiple preps. 

"I must do something to lessen this burden, since I want to finish my contract, I can't afford to lose the job and above all I love this profession." I just told myself. So that was when positive change came into the scene. I couldn't do something about the number of preparations because the teachers' schedule program was already established and besides, who would want to appear like a rebel in front of the school director in his very first year of teaching? Thinking for a more positive approach, I just came up of some strategies to make my teaching life a little bit breezier, some of the tips were also from seasoned teachers who gave their solicited advice about dealing with multiple preps. Following are the tips that might also help you:


  1. Get Organized. Teaching with multiple preparations would mean more paper works, visual guides, exams to mark, activities to evaluate and record. Stay organized. Categorize them using colored envelopes and file holders. Use paper clips and and clamps. These little office buddies will help you to still have a little space for a picture frame on your table top.  
  2. To Do List. Being mindful on how you should spend your time is also important in dealing with multiple preps. Allot time for each preparation. Before you sleep or early in the morning be sure to come up of a "to-do list" that will guide you all through out the day.
  3. Seek Help. There is no harm in asking anyone inside the faculty, particularly those who are also teaching the same field, if they can help you in your case. They might allow you to re-use their modules or instructional materials, give you some tips on how to demonstrate the lessons easily etc. This is where you should value being friendly and sociable. Always remember...no man is island.
  4. Do Not Challenge Yourself Too Much. Remember that you are in a very demanding situation right now. Do not allow your self to explode by adding more pressures. Simplicity is the key here... It's not like you should come up of something very innovative in every second of your teaching life. Reinventing the wheel is great, but not during a school year with multiple preps.  
  5. Energize Yourself. If you feel tired, do not mistaken it with a losing passion for teaching. Think positive. Do something that please you during your free time (exercising, reading, listening to your fave music). Get enough sleep and eat a balance diet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment