Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Policy, Governance, and Capacity Building Programme for Philippine Leaders and Educators – ICT Training for Teachers

Last April 28 to 30, I attended the Philippine Governance Building Programme – ICT Training for Teachers at Ateneo de Manila University. I was so blessed that my head teacher sent me in this training because I got the chance to learn some of the most useful ICT tools that can be used to enhance my students’ learning experience.

Day 1
We met our trainers: Mr. Red Prado, Head Teacher in Division of Valenzuela; and Mrs. Rebecca, Master Teacher in Division of Quezon City. They were both energetic trainers. They immediately conduct the opening routine and facilitated a dynamic and engaging “getting-to-know-each-other game.”

As an introduction for the training, Mrs. Rebecca talked about the background of this training. We learned that Policy, Governance and Capacity Building (PGCB) Programme for Philippine Educators is an initiative of TEMASEK Foundation, in cooperation with Ateneo de Manila University. It aims to enhance the skills and knowledge of teachers when it comes to content and pedagogy of elementary and secondary teachers in Science, Math, English and ICT.

She also discussed about the ICT Affordances. It was my first time to hear the word “affordance.” Mrs. Rebecca defined it as an actionable property that exists between the object and the actor. During her discussions, we learned the different affordances of ICT tools from pedagogical, social and technological perspectives.

In the afternoon session, Mr. Red trained us on how to utilize Edmodo as a course learning management system. Although I am quite acquainted with the features of Edmodo, I still learned a lot from the training because the environment of this site has changed since the last time I used it.     

I'm with my great grandfather's statue :D
Day 2
Hot Potatoes, CMap Tools and Blogger were the “star ICT tools” during our second day. After demonstrating how to use these tools, the trainers gave us a lot of challenging exercises. They required us to develop interactive and online examinations using Hot Potatoes, concept maps about our lessons using CMap Tools and we even created a blog site account using Blogger (of course on this part I am quite at ease, since I already know how to manage a blog site in Blogger).

When Mrs. Rebecca asked for volunteers, who would like to conduct a micro-teaching demonstration as our culminating activity, I didn't hesitate to raise my hand. I would also like to share the things I learned and how I could apply it to actual teaching. But, since many were interested to conduct a demonstration teaching and only four teachers will be given the chance, Mrs. Rebecca did the selection through a raffle among those interested. I was so blessed to get a slot.

Day 3
I was so excited (and quite nervous) to attend the last day because of my scheduled demonstration. I just told myself that it was a chance for me to share also my strategies with my co-participants on how to effectively use those ICT tools that we learned and I should make the most out of this opportunity.

During the morning session, Mr. Red trained us how to use Audacity, which is a sound-editing program that can actually help us record and edit our voices for instruction or for interactive learning module development. He also shared a lot of websites, wherein we can access interactive educational games.

Micro-demonstration teaching in ICT integration
My micro-teaching demonstration was indeed a success. Although, I was cut because our time was just limited, I believed that I covered the essential parts that my co-participants should capture. In my micro-teaching instructional plan, I used the ASSURE model. This was something that I would really like to share to them. With ASSURE instructional design model, we can integrate technology tools more effectively. 

No comments:

Post a Comment