Saturday, May 4, 2013

Ways to Assess Students Work

learning assessment

As a computer teacher I have almost experienced using all sorts of assessment. I am into exploring for the most effective assessment strategy that I can utilize in my classroom. However, the more I search for it, the more I realize that somehow these different kinds of assessments, may it be standardized exams or alternative assessments like portfolios, have their own rightful place in the teaching and learning process of our students. But, which is the best assessment method? Personally, I do not have a strong preference to one particular kind of assessment. So let me just simply delineate the importance of each kinds of assessment.  Based on my teaching experience, the following are the beauty of the different assessments I have used in my own class:

  • Authentic Assessment
This kind of assessment, which is evaluating students’ abilities in real world contexts, is considered more meaningful than any traditional or standardized examinations. Giving our students some tasks that are closer to real world applications will help us prepare our students for the world of work and profession.

  • Performance-based Assessment
I usually conduct this kind of assessment; this is a direct way of witnessing how our students will apply their learning through meaningful tasks or activities that we’ll give them. As long as we are supporting this kind of assessment with proper feedback system and giving them multiple chances to get it right, satisfaction and enjoyment of learning among them can be guaranteed.

  •  Portfolio Assessment
I am generally amazed in this kind of assessment. I have utilized paper-based portfolios before, just last school year, I have implemented an ELECTRONIC PORTFOLIO ASSESSMENT (both process and product portfolios) among all the senior high school students I am handling. Through creating their own blog sites, my students were able to organize their learning evidences. The effectiveness of portfolio assessment lies on the dedication of the teacher for it really entails a lot of time in planning and grading the students’ outputs. But, it will be worth all the effort because this assessment documents the stages of learning and provides a progressive record of student growth at the same showcasing their best work.

In the teaching and learning process, assessment’s role is indeed very significant. It will help us determine if our learning objectives have been met. Assessing the works of our students affects the students’ grades, their advancement, even curriculum modifications.

According to Edutopia.org (2008), when assessment works best, it does the following:
·         Provides diagnostic feedback
·         Helps educators set standards
·         Evaluates progress
·         Relates to a student's progress
·         Motivates performance

No comments:

Post a Comment