Sunday, May 3, 2015

Reflections on Being a Class Adviser

And another school year has passed. Time really flies so fast. The memories of the first day of classes seemed just like yesterday. I will surely miss my class advisory, IV – Lalaguna Batch 2014-2015. These bunch of teens gave me a roller coaster experience as their class adviser.

It was like feeling all kinds of emotions with them. There were times that I would be so happy with them, but there were also times that I was so close on cursing them. Sometimes, they will make me so proud of our section with all their co-curricular achievements, but there were some instances that I felt so remorseful that they became my class advisory. There was even a quarter when we became the lowest performing class in mastery level. I felt so ashamed. But despite all these ups and down, I realized that no matter what the circumstances we are into with our class advisory, it is our disposition as their class adviser that should be consistent. I will always be their second father, who will always be there to remind them of their responsibilities and support them in all their endeavor.

Last March 26, 2015, our school held its 18th Commencement Exercises at Valenzuela Astrodome. I was almost teary-eyed seeing my forty nine (49) children marching their way as graduating students. And when they received their diplomas, my emotions are mixed up. Happy that at last they can pursue their dreams in college, sad because I know some of them will not be able to continue to college or still need to work first to save for tuition fees and other expenses. Nevertheless, I still hope and pray that all them can achieve their life goals someday and become who they want to be.

A photo taken before the graduation march,
with my dear students and Ma’am Karina.
Photo Credits: Jacklyn Cosico
Stephen Grellet said, “I shall pass through this world but once. Any good therefore that I can do or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” We shall only pass through the life of our students once, so let us do all acts of kindness for them, it doesn’t matter if it’s small or big. The important thing is that we touched their lives. Let us guide and inspire them to do their best, and light their path towards a brighter future. 




No comments:

Post a Comment